Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Alert!!! Virgin blogger!!

Hey everyone/anyone reading!
After much thought I have given in to the siren call of Blogger, and created a blog. A blog in which I hope to share some awesome ideas, projects, adventures, stories, and whatever else the nerd in me finds amusing, fantastical, or down right awe-inspiring.

I'm going to take a minute to explain myself, how this whole thing came to be, and what you can expect from me right here at Nerd Rendezvous.... I happen to be a nerd of many varieties...comics, sci-fi make up, vintage pin-up, science, steampunk...that list could go on and on. With that being said, it is truly hard to find certain pieces for the nerd puzzle that is me. I couldn't just walk into Target and find, oh let's say... Deadpool heels, and that my friends is a problem. A big problem. A problem that I tried to remedy with an old friend, the internet. To my dismay Deadpool heels would cost 100 US dollars, plus shipping, oh...and did I mention that it would take over 2 weeks to get them? That didn't sit well with me or my wallet (or my feet...) so being the cost effective and artistic nerd that I am, I looked for DIY versions of EVERYTHING I wanted.

Wisdom is a powerful drug. You get compliments galore, save yourself tons of  money, and have the ability to give your friends custom gifts for their birthdays that are meaningful and personalized to them. Tutorials and videos out here in cyberspace are very tricky, some are great, some are awful, and some would be great but lack a few steps or tricks...or pictures. To me it was like a hunt. A hunt for knowledge and mastery of the project. And most of the time I found myself altering everything my internet scholars were teaching me. Manipulating it until it "clicked" in my head. I would read or watch (at the very least) three tutorials for whatever project was at hand, and then attempt it. To this day I often find tricks and tips that would have made it even easier, find materials that work better or have a creative tangent that leads to an epic design. My brain is complicated to say the very least.
Down to the nitty gritty: Why blog, you might ask? I have been asked on several occasions by strangers and friends alike where I got my unique jewelry or accessories which prompts a long tutorial. Usually this happens in a grocery store or whilst in a line to the restroom at a comic convention, which is...let's just say less than ideal. (Once you see them get out their phone, notepad, or ask you for a notepad or pen...it's all over.) So...why not immortalize my projects, why not share my small bit of knowledge, get new ideas, and maybe inspire some of you reading to put down your wallet and pick up some Mod Podge.

I can't promise you I will be a perfect blogger (does that even exist?) I can promise you I will try, and hopefully, if anything, get your creative juices flowing. And of course I invite you to share your comments/ideas/tips, I will try to keep up with you all as often as my schedule permits.

My next blog post will be a custom comic shoe tutorial...I invite you to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment